20 // Foo Fighters // Sonic Highways

There are some really wonderful things on the Foo Fighters’ eighth record: the jazzy keyboard bit on ‘Something from Nothing’, the sing-along second half of the ‘What Did I Do?/God as My Witness’ double track, the wonderful bridge towards the end of ‘Congregation’ featuring Zack Brown (such a perfect 70 seconds or so) and the great riff on album-best ‘The Feast and the Famine’.  The Foo Fighters are, of course, far too good to put out a ‘poor’ record, and there’s plenty here to enjoy, as ever.  But Sonic Highways is certainly also a patchy record, even within songs, and the end of the album really tails off (‘Subterranean’, for example, is just a bit boring).  The fact this is all a bit disjointed was probably inevitable given the way in which the album was made (each track recorded in a different city).  The failings of Sonic Highways are probably exaggerated by the fact that predecessor Wasting Light was the Foos’ best since their late-90s heyday – meaning that this inevitably feels a little like a step backwards.  The Foos have never made an album that’s been unable to find a spot on my list since I starting doing these in 2000, but it was a close call this year.  I’m glad that it crept in at number 20, as overall I have really liked this record, and the Foos will always be special to me.  But it’s quite telling that I have enjoyed the HBO documentary series about making this album significantly more than the album itself.