06 // Mogwai // Rave Tapes

I think this may actually be my favourite Mogwai album, which – given their really quite mighty back catalogue – is no mean thing.  As one of pock-rock’s finest, Mogwai of course have experimentation in their very DNA, but this is really quite exploratory even for them and represents both a notable shift from the style of their recent records and an even bigger leap away from their early work.  It’s worth pointing out, first, that Rave Tapes certainly has nothing to do with rave music.  But it is, at its heart, and electronica album rather than a rock one, despite the omnipresence of guitars and drums.  Most of the album feels rather more laptop than lead guitar.  It is a dreamy, open album with vast but under-populated soundscapes.  At times it bursts into life, and more familiar Come on Die Young style ‘classic’ post-rock territory: see ‘Hexon Bogon’, or my favourite track on the record, the pounding ‘Master Card’.  However, it’s actually tracks like the driving electronica of ‘Replenish’ that more accurately represent what Mogwai are trying to do here.  This is an amazingly realised musical journey, and for the first third of 2014 was undoubtedly my album of the year.  It’s slipped down the list a bit since then, but remains a firm favourite that I play regularly.  Rave Tapes is the first truly great album on the list this year, and one that I’ll come back to for many years to come.  Having said this, when I draw up my list each year, there’s always a cut-off point between the truly amazing records each year and ‘the rest’.  In 2014 Rave Tapes existed in an odd netherworld of its own between these two realms.  I like the album significantly more than ‘the rest’, but there were also five records that were vastly superior to it: in other words, its placement at 6th was the easiest decision I’ve ever made when writing these lists!

sample track: Master Card