01 // Metronomy // Love Letters


Metronomy’s last album, The English Riviera, came third on my 2011 list.  So I bought this with a great deal if expectation, and then was initially a bit disappointed.  Where were the standout tracks: the ‘Everything Goes My Way’, ‘The Bay’ or ‘The Look’?  Where was my instant gratification?  There are no standout tracks on the record, but that somehow seems intentional: because this truly is an album.  Yes, there are 3 or 4 tracks on its predecessor that I prefer to any of the individual songs here taken in isolation, but this is a record that rewards repeated listens in spades.  The early soft electronic pop of tracks to ‘I’m Aquarius’ or ‘The Upsetter’ give way to a heady mix of more adventurous electronica (‘Monstrous’), 80s-instrumental synth (‘Boy Racers’), melancholy folk (‘Never Wanted’) and serious shoegazing (‘The Most Immaculate Haircut’).  Even the brief and slightly jarring semi-misstep of the pure-pop title track (which feels like they were asked to write it ex post facto to act as a single), is still actually really quite fun.  Despite all this diversity, though, it all fits together seamlessly.

I guess it may seem a  little out of place that a list so dominated by rock bands – as ever for me – is topped by what is essentially a pop-electronica album, but Metronomy have so many strings to their bow that they are ultimately unclassifiable.  Love Letters is an unfailingly exceptional record.  Having said that, I did struggle to identify a number 1 record this year (most years it’s fairly obvious).  This wasn’t way ahead of the field by any means: as I’ve said, there were 5 records that I adored and played to death this year, and ordering them was nearly impossible.  This won out largely because, quite simply, I listened to it the most – it had quite a few more plays on my iTunes bean counter than any other album this year, and that’s always a fair sign of how much one likes a record.  And having reached it, this certainly deserves its place at the summit.  Eclectic and inventive but actually extremely accessible throughout, Love Letters showcases a band at the peak of its powers.  A Devonian band, no less.

‘He’s got/the most immaculate haircut/and with the right dye and shampoo/maybe I could too’…

sample track: I'm Aquarius